There are 2 ways to transfer contacts from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy S4: sync contacts with Google Contacts using iTunes, or export via iCloud.
Let’s go through the steps of the first method here.
To sync iPhone contacts with Google Contacts using iTunes:
Note 1: The steps below are tested using iTunes 11 and iOS 6.1.3.
Note 2: Before you begin, it’s recommended to make a backup of all the contacts to avoid any mistake causing data loss.
i. Syncing iPhone Contacts with Google Contacts
- On your iPhone, if you have contacts sync with iCloud turned on, then you need to first turn it off. Else, skip to step 3.
- When you turn off contact sync, you’ll be prompted to choose if you want to keep the contacts on your iPhone. Tap Keep on My iPhone.
- Now, connect your iPhone to the PC that has the iTunes software.
- On the iTunes, click the iPhone icon on the upper right corner.
- Next, click the Info tab.
- Here, check the Sync Contacts with option, and then select Google Contacts.
- If you’re prompted for a confirmation, just click Switch.
- Click Configure… to get the Google Contacts window. Here, enter your Google ID, Password and click OK.
- Now, click the Apply button to kick start the sync process.
- Once completed, log into your Google Contacts and you should see the list of contacts being copied over successfully.
- On the iTunes, uncheck Sync Contacts with to disable contacts sync with Google.
ii. Sign in your Galaxy S4 Android using your Gmail account.
When you turn on your Galaxy S4 for the first time, you’ll be prompted to complete the initial setup which includes signing in with your Gmail ID.
If you’ve signed in during the initial setup, then you should see the contacts on your phone as soon as the Gmail account starts syncing.
Well, if you’ve skipped that sign in, below are the steps you should follow.
- On your Galaxy S4, go to home Settings > Account.
- Tap Add account.
- On the Add account screen, select Google.
- Next, tap Existing.
- On the Sign in screen, enter your Gmail, password and then tap the Next icon.
- Once you’ve entered the username and password correctly, continue with the on screen instructions to complete the setup.
- Once completed, the contacts of the Gmail account should appear on your Galaxy S4.
Note: Unlike export via iCloud, I found that using this method doesn’t transfer both data of birthday and homepage fields.