Well, I sure didn’t see this coming. The Google Reader will be closing its door after 1st July this year – yes, you read that correctly.
So, am I affected ? Pretty much yes, I’ve been using the web-based Google Reader and Android app for quite some time.
Well, I guess this isn’t the time to feel unjust, but to look for an alternative.
Why Pulse ?
There are quite a lot of RSS readers out there, but with the amount of different devices on my table, I need to look for one that works on iOS, Android, Windows Phone and my good old PC.
The idea of using one solution for these platforms also save me the trouble of maintaining multiple usernames and passwords.
These alternatives come with apps for both Android and iOS which is perfect for my Galaxy S3 (or soon to be S4), Nexus 10 and iPad.
As for my Windows Phone 8 and PC, I can make use of the web-based version, while hoping they’ll come out with something on these OSes in the near future.
Transfer RSS feeds from Google Reader to Pulse
Now, let’s start with Pulse here. If you were to choose Pulse, here’s how you migrate all the feeds from Google Readers to this app.
Note: You can do this on either the Android or iOS app. Unfortunately, I don’t see a similar option on the web-based version.
- On your Android device, install the Pulse app and then open it.
- Now, you can either create an Account or Sign in if you already have the username and password.
- Tap the Pulse icon at the top left corner to see the expanded menu.
- Tap +add Content.
- Slide to Social category and tap Google reader.
- Now, log in to your Google Readers. If prompted, tap Grand access.
- Next, you should see a list of RSS feeds. On the feed that you would like to add to Pulse, tap the + sign.
- On the Add Source to Page prompt, select the page that you would like this feed to be in or tap +add Page to create a new page.
- Once you’ve added all the feeds, you can log out Google reader if you wish to.
[Note: I decided not to continue with Newsblur, as its Android app kept crashing while I was testing it.]