The work Xiaomi has done to make the auto-brightness feature better on the Xiaomi Mi 10 was explained in the launch event by the company chairman. At the same time, there’s also a Weibo post written by Xiaomi’s Director of Smartphone Software Department that gives a bit more detail about the enhancements made to the auto-brightness feature.
Here’s what I’ve learned from them:
- On the OLED screen, the auto-brightness adjustment level has increased to 4096 levels to provide finer tuning. At the same time, Xiaomi has optimized the algorithm of the low brightness adjustment curve for smoother brightness changes.
- The new phone comes with two light sensors: one on the front and another one at the back. In complex ambient lighting, the two sensors can work together to collect more light source data, and therefore knowing accurately the users’ ambient light conditions.
- The algorithm of auto-brightness is optimized to include additional capabilities:
- The phone will automatically record user preferences and make intelligent brightness adjustments according to the users’ habits.
- It also uses the motion detection technology to monitor the phone postures and usage scenarios in real-time, and it comes with a variety of auto-brightness curves for gaming, video, daily apps, etc. to better fit the users’ usage scenarios.
- The phone comes with an OLED screen that supports full-range DC dimming. And, Xiaomi has optimized the DC dimming for more precise adjustment.
Image credit: Mi 10 Series Launch Event