Image credit: Samsung
Unfolded: Height: 167.3 mm / Width: 73.6mm / Thickness: 7.2mm
Folded: Height: 87.4mm / Width: 73.6mm / Thickness: 17.3mm
2020 February (US)
8GB RAM + 256GB storage = USD1380
Mirror Black, Mirror Purple, Mirror Gold
Main display: 6.7” Dynamic AMOLED display (Infinity Flex Display), FHD+ 1080 x 2636, 82.5% screen-to-body ratio
Cover display: 1.1” Super AMOLED display, 112 x 300 resolution
Back: 12MP (main, F1.8, OIS) + 12MP (ultrawide, 123˚, F2.2)
Zoom: 8x digital zoom
Front: 10MP (F2.4)
3300mAh battery, 15W fast charging, fast wireless charging
Processor: Snapdragon 855+ / GPU: Adreno 640
One UI 2 (based on Android 10.0)
USB Type-C, Side-mounted fingerprint sensor, NFC
ii. Features highlighted in the launch event
- The Galaxy Z Flip is a statement smartphone with its perfectly compact form factor and premium design.
- When it’s closed, it’s half of the physical size. It fits right in the palm of your hand and pocket.
- The 1.1-inch front cover display shows you all the information such as time, battery, alarms and notifications.
- You can even take a selfie without opening up the phone. Just double press the Power button to activate the main camera and use the tiny little cover display as the viewfinder.
- When you’re ready to use the phone, just flip it open to get a full size 6.7-inch FHD+ display.
- The display is made of an ultra-thin yet strong glass that folds. Samsung says it can fold and unfold 200,000 times without any problems. And, the glass is far more resistant to scratches.
- The Galaxy Z Flip uses a free stop hinge which allows the phone to stay open in different angles just like a laptop. Samsung calls that the Flex mode.
- In Flex mode, the screen can be split into two parts: a viewing area and an interaction area.
Samsung also optimized some of your favorite apps to work on this mode. For example, you can watch a Youtube video on the top half of the screen and type your comment on the bottom half of the screen.
- When the phone is half opened in 90 degree, you can place it on a flat surface to take a hands free selfie.
- Apart from holding the phone together with smooth folds, the “Hideaway Hinge” (as what Samsung calls it) also integrates Samsung’s new sweeper technology, which uses nylon fibers crafted by micro-height-cutting technology to repel dirt and dust.
- The flip phone comes in three colors: Mirror Purple, Mirror Black and Mirror Gold (only in selected countries).
- If you’re residing in the US, you can own one starting from February 14th for USD 1,380.
- The Galaxy Z Flip also has a Thom Browne Limited Edition.
1. Where’s the fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy Z Flip?
The phone comes with a side mounted fingerprint scanner which is placed right in the Power button.
2. Is there a 3.5mm headphone jack on the Galaxy Z Flip?
No. At the bottom of the phone, there’s only a USB Type-C port, a speaker grille and a main microphone. The retail unit will come with a pair of Type-C earphones with sound by AKG.
3. Does the Flip support Wireless PowerShare?
Yes, it does.
4. What’s the refresh rate of the Galaxy Z Flip display?
The display refreshes at 60Hz.
5. How many watts is the charger?
The phone comes with a 15W charger in the box.
6. Does the Galaxy Z Flip have zoom?
Yes. But, it only supports 8x digital zoom.
7. Does the Galaxy Z Flip support storage expansion?
Unfortunately, the phone doesn’t have a slot for a microSD card and therefore it doesn’t support storage expansion.
8. Does the Galaxy Z Flip come with a case?
Yes, it does come with a special case that’s made for the Flip. The case will protect the front and back of the phone but leaving the hinge exposed.