Your Xiaomi phone is stuck in Child mode because you’ve forgotten the Privacy Protection password.
Here’s a way to enter the device’s Settings from Child mode (Yes, without using the Privacy Protection password) that I’ve learnt from the MIUI forum. Once you’re in the device’s Settings, (if your phone comes with a fingerprint sensor) you can register your fingerprint and enable it to unlock the Privacy Protection password.
If your phone doesn’t have a fingerprint sensor, then you can make sure your data and files are synced to Mi Cloud, do a backup and factory reset your phone from the device’s Settings.
Note: This method only works if you have an app in Child mode that’s able to share to Gmail. The following tutorial will be using the Gallery app as an example. You can use other app that is sharable to Gmail to achieve the same thing.
- In Child mode, open the Gallery app.
- Select a photo and share to Gmail.
- In the Gmail compose screen, tap the 3-dot Menu button > Settings.
- On the Gmail settings screen, tap the 3-dot Menu button > Manage accounts.
- When you see the prompt below, tap Continue to enter the device’s Settings.
- If your phone comes with a fingerprint sensor, follow the steps here: In the device’ Settings, you can go to Lock screen & password > Manage fingerprints to register your fingerprint and enable to unlock the Privacy password. Once you’re done, you can get back to child mode, to unlock it using your fingerprint.
- If your phone doesn’t come with a fingerprint sensor, then you might want to consider backing up your files and do a factory reset:
- Make sure your data and files are synced to Mi Cloud or do a backup to Mi Cloud. Tip: You can also connect your phone to your computer using the USB cable to transfer all your photos, files and docs as a backup.
- Go to the device’s Settings > Additional settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset > Reset phone. Tip: If you didn’t turn on the Erase content switch, your photos, songs and files should remain in the phone storage after reset.