Get to know your ZenFone 3. Learn the tips and tricks here to get the most out of your phone.
For more questions and answers on ZenFone 3, please visit our forum.
1. Turn on Kids mode before giving your phone to your kids
Let your kids have your phone without worrying they’ll browse the phone without your permission. Just turn on Kids mode and specify the apps they can access.
- From your device’s Settings, tap Kids mode.
- Turn the (Kids mode) switch on and follow the on screen instructions to setup your password and specify the apps your kids can access.
2. Turn on Easy mode for seniors and elderly
Easy mode offers senior friendly interface that features bigger app icons, font sizes, dial keypad and etc.
- Go to your device’s Settings, tap Easy mode to turn the feature on.
3. Use your phone while wearing gloves
Turn on Glove mode, and use your phone without removing your gloves.
- From your device’s Settings, tap ASUS customised settings.
- Select the box next to Glove mode.
Tip: There’s also a Glove mode button on the Quick settings panel for you to turn on & off the Glove mode without going through the device’s Settings menu.
4. Uninstall/disable apps quickly
You can disable and uninstall apps from the app drawer directly. Here’s how:
- In the app drawer, tap the Menu button > Uninstall/Disable.
- Tap the x sign next to the app icon that you want to delete.
- On the confirmation prompt, tap OK.
5. Enable Bluelight Filter to avoid eye strain
Your phone emits significant amounts of blue light that will strain your eyes a lot. If need be, you can enable the built-in Bluelight Filter to minimize this problem.
- Open the Quick Settings panel from the top of the screen.
- Tap Bluelight Filter to turn it on and off.
6. Use scientific calculator
Need a scientific calculator? Just switch the pre-installed Calculator app to landscape mode.
7. Unit converter
If you’re looking for the best unit converter for free, it’s right in the Calculator app.
- Open Calculator.
- Tap the Menu button.
- Select Unit converter.
8. Enable floating calculator
You can make the stock Calculator app floats over other apps. Here’s how to enable it.
- In the Calculator’s settings, check the box next to Floating calculator.
9. See all your apps in list view
If you wish to see all your apps in list view, place the 1 x 1 All apps widget on your Home screen. Then, tap the widget to see the list of apps in alphabetical order.
10. Place a calculator on your Home screen
ZenUI calculator comes with a widget that lets you place the calculator(not the app icon) on the Home screen.
11. Turn on flash light for a specific duration
Do you know you can set the duration for how long you want the flashlight to be turned on? Yes, the ZenFone Flashlight app lets you do so.
- Open the Flashlight app.
- Tap the Menu button > Settings > Automatic off.
- Select a duration.
12. Enable weather animation
Make the weather widget on your lock screen more lively by enabling the weather animation. Go to your device’s Settings > Lock screen, and then turn on Weather animation.
13. Access Google app from the Recent apps screen
Did you know you can access Google app to get news, weather and search for information from the Recent apps screen? Just tap the Recent apps button and you should see the Google App (Search bar) at the top of the screen.
14. Swipe up to turn on the screen
Besides double-tap, you can swipe up the screen to turn it on. To enable this feature, follow these steps:
- From your device’s Settings, tap ZenMotion > Touch Gesture.
- Turn the Touch Gesture feature on.
- Turn on the Swipe up to wake up switch.
15. Search on your phone
Swipe down on a Home screen to use Quick Find to quickly find apps, contacts and do web searches.
16. Record gameplay
Are you looking for an easy way to record gameplay on your ZenFone? Use the record function in Game Genie to help you.
Read this tutorial on how to record gameplay using Game Genie.
17. Draw alphabets to launch apps
ZenUI launcher comes with a handy feature that allows you open apps quickly by drawing alphabets on the screen. You can go to the device’s Settings > Zen Motion > Touch Gesture to associate the alphabets with the apps you want to launch.
18. Open App info screen quickly from the Home screen
Here are the two quick ways to open an app’s App info screen from the Home screen:
- Tap the Recent apps button and then long tap the icon of an app thumbnail.
- Swipe down on a home screen to open Quick Find, long tap an app in the search results and select App info.
19. Download the ZenUI apps
There are dozens of apps developed by ASUS available for you to use, and most of them should come pre-installed on your phone.
If you’ve uninstalled some of them before this, and wish to get them now, here’s one easy way to do it:
- From your device’s Settings, tap ZenUI Instant Update.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap Discover more ZenUI apps.
- Here, you should get all the ASUS apps that are compatible to your phone.
20. Animated icon feature
Here are the 4 ZenUI apps that support the Animated icon feature. Their icons on the home screen will change to show updated information. For example, the Power saver will show the current battery percentage, and the Clock app will show the current time.
- Power Saver
– ASUS Browser
1. Install ASUS Browser
ASUS browser is not only fast and secure, but it’s also feature-rich – Offline reading, reader mode, importing bookmarks from Chrome, etc. If your phone don’t have it out of the box, you can download it from the Google Play store.
2. Swipe down to refresh
If you have been using Google Chrome in Android, you will probably notice the Pull to Refresh feature in the browser that can be useful. You can have the same function in the ASUS browser too. Here’s how to do enable it:
- In the ASUS browser’s settings, tap Advanced.
- Check the box next to Swipe down to refresh.
3. Save websites for offline reading
Traveling can be quite boring at times especially when you have no good Internet connection. The Save for offline reading option in the Browser allows you to save full web pages to your phone and read them while you’re on a plane or train.
1. Read QR codes using the Camera app
If you would like to be able to scan QR codes with your ZenFone 3, it’s easy to do. Just use the QR code mode in the pre-installed Camera app.
2. Turn off the print screen shutter sound
If you want to turn off the screenshot sound, follow the steps here:
- From your device’s Settings, tap Screenshot.
- Swipe the Enable screenshot sound switch to the off position.
3. Use the Volume buttons to take photos
The Volume buttons can do more than just adjusting the sound level. They can be the camera shutter button as well.
- Open the Camera app.
- Tap the Settings icon.
- Under Camera, tap Set volume key as, and then select Shutter.
4. Change the screenshot file format
You have the option to choose whether you want JPEG or PNG as the screenshot file format.
- From your device’s Settings, tap Screenshot > Screenshot file format.
- Select a format, either JPEG or PNG.
5. Change the default camera startup mode
You can change the default camera startup mode by following the steps below:
- Open the Camera app.
- Tap the Mode button in the lower left corner.
- Here, tap and drag the mode you want to make it as the default to the first in the list.
6. Double click the Volume – button to launch the camera quickly
Never miss that picture-perfect moment again with the Instant Camera feature. With this feature, you can double click the Volume down button to open the camera when your phone screen is off.
To turn on Instant Camera, follow these steps:
- Go to your device’s Settings > Lock screen
- Turn the Instant Camera switch on.
1. Pre-set multiple timers
The good thing about ASUS clock countdown timer is that you can set multiple countdown timers and assign a different alarm tone for each.
1. Hide contacts
If you don’t want to show a contact’s name and photo on the lock screen, and its call entries in the call log, add the contact to your private contacts list.
See this tutorial for more information on how to add a contact to the private contact list.
2. Enable dark mode for Phone, Contacts and Dialer
You can change the Phone and Contacts apps instantly from light mode to dark mode – great for low-light conditions.
- Open the Contacts app.
- Tap the Menu button > Settings > Personalised settings
- Check Dark mode.
3. Block all calls not in your contacts
Follow these steps to quickly block calls that are not in your contacts:
- Open the Contacts app.
- Tap the Menu button > Settings > Block function settings > Tap Block mode.
- Select Block unknown calls.
– File Manager
1. Recover deleted files from the Recycle bin
The File Manager has a useful feature called recycle bin to restore accidentally deleted files. When you’re deleting files, you will see a prompt telling you the files are transferred to recycle bin. If you’re sure you don’t need them anymore, check Permanently delete.
2. Create a shortcut to multiple folders
If need be, you can add a shortcut to the File Manager’s Favourites which contain multiple folders to your Home screen.
3. Create a shortcut to the SD card storage
If you access the content in your external memory very often, you can create a shortcut on your Home screen to link directly to the SD card memory.
- Open File Manager.
- Long tap MicroSD and select Create shortcut on Launcher.
4. Use dark mode
If you find yourself always get distracted by the bright and white background, turn on the dark mode in the File Manager’s settings.
5. Recover accidental deletions from the Recycle Bin
Every time you delete a file from the File Manager, you’ll get a prompt telling you that the files will be transferred into Recycle bin. If you want any of the deleted files back, you can always recover them from the Recycle bin. To access the Recycle bin, just open the File Manager, scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap Recycle Bin.
6. Transfer files from/to PC using web browser
If for some reason, you can’t transfer files between your ZenFone and your computer using the provided USB cable, try the wireless method. Follow this guide for more detailed instructions on the wireless file transfer feature.
7. Hidden cabinet
Creates a private space on your ZenFone by using the Hidden Cabinet feature in the File Manager. Folders, pictures, videos and any files moved to the Hidden Cabinet are protected by a personalized password.
- Open the File Manager.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Hidden Cabinet.
- Complete the initial setup such as setting up your password to unlock the hidden space.
- You can then select the files or folders, tap the Menu button and select Move to Hidden Cabinet.
1. Enable dark theme for Gallery
If you like to view your photos in dark background so much, you can enable Dark theme in the Gallery app. Go to its Settings and slide the Dark theme switch to the on position.
2. Recover deleted photos from the Trash
When you delete photos from the Gallery app, you’ve the option to move them into the Trash. Those photos in the Trash can always be recovered. Be sure to empty the Trash later to remove the photos forever.
3. Secure the Gallery app
Keep the Gallery app secure and private by enabling the built-in lock.
- Open the Gallery app.
- Tap the Menu button > Lock Gallery. Then, follow the on-screen instructions to set your unlock password.
4. Combining multiple photos into one
With the ZenFone’s Gallery app, you can merge multiple photos into one. There is no need to spend your time and money to look for a 3rd party app. There are also many options such as many styles of layouts, borders and background patterns and text to spice it up.
To create a photo collage, select multiple photos in the Gallery app, tap PhotoCollage and spice it up by picking a layout, personalizing the background and border, etc.
5. Hide photo albums
Sometimes you need to hide the entire picture albums. Getting this done is easy with the built-in Show/hide album. Here’s how:
- Open the Gallery app.
- Tap the Menu button the upper right corner of the screen.
- Tap Show/hide album.
- Select the albums that you want to hide.
Note: If you’re looking for a way to keep your private photos secured by a password, use the Hidden Cabinet function in the File Manager.
1. Pick up calls without tapping your phone screen.
If you want to pick up calls without tapping your phone screen, use the Hands up feature. This feature lets you answer calls automatically by lifting your phone to your ear.
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap ZenMotion.
- Slide the Motion Gesture switch to the on position.
– ZenUI Keyboard
1. Use your own photo as the keyboard background
There are many free themes available for the ZenUI keyboard. But, if you wish to have your photos as the background, you can follow the guide below to do so.
2. Access your clipboard history
You can access the built-in clipboard manager to recover any of the last 50 contents you’ve copied. Here’s how:
- On the keyboard toolbar.
- Tap the Menu button > Clipboard.
3. Use flick input
You can enable flick input in the ZenUI keyboard settings. Once done, you flick the keys upwards for uppercase and downwards for symbols.
4. Select text with the Text editing controls
Text selection with a finger on your phone is always tricky. Fortunately, the ZenUI keyboard offers a good solution: Text editing controls.
With the Text editing controls, you can tap the left, right, up, down, beginning and end (of a line) buttons to move the selector(s) to an exact point easily. It also comes with the cut, copy, paste, select and select all buttons.
5. Delete all items in the Clipboard effortlessly
If you wish to clear everything that you’ve copied, use the Delete All button in the clipboard.
6. Adjust the keyboard’s height and width
If you feel that the keyboard is taking up too much of the space, you can adjust its height and width. Here’s how:
- On the keyboard, tap the Menu button > Resize keyboard.
- Tap and drag the border to adjust the keyboard size.
– ZenUI Launcher (Personalization)
1. Customize the icon label color
ZenUI launcher allows you to change the color of icon labels. Here’s how:
- Pinch a Home screen using 2 fingers.
- Swipe left and tap Icon Label color.
- Pick a color.
2. Increase/decrease the icon size
If the icons are too big or too small to your liking, you can adjust them.
- Pinch a home screen using 2 fingers.
- Tap Icon size.
- Now, tap the -/+ button to increase and decrease the icon size.
3. Show more icon thumbnails in a folder
The default Grid 2×2 folder theme shows only 4 icon thumbnails in a folder. If you want more change it to Grid 3×3. Here’s how:
- From the app drawer/app list, tap the Menu button > Preferences > Folder/Icon > Folder theme.
- Select Grid (3×3).
4. Random screen transition effects
If you can’t decide which Home screens transition you like, pick Random. This option includes all transitions in the list.
- Pinch a Home screen using 2 fingers.
- Tap Scroll effects.
- Pick Random.
5. Use one layer mode
If you want to remove the app drawer, you can do so by changing the home screen layout to One layer mode.
- On the app drawer, tap the Menu button > Preferences > Home screen.
- Tap Layout, and then select One layer mode.
Do you have more tips and tricks to add? Share them in the comments!