Got a new Android phone? And want to transfer the SMS/MMS messages from your old phone to your new phone? The SMS Backup & Restore app can help.
i. Backup SMS messages
- On your old phone, download SMS Backup & Restore from the Google Play store.
- Launch the SMS Backup & Restore app, and then tap Backup.
- If this is your first time using SMS Backup & Restore, you’ll see a prompt to select the backup folder. Select an option and then tap OK.
- On the Create New Backup prompt, customize the file names, the conversations you want to backup and the storage location, and then tap OK to start backing up.
- The generated .xml (backup file) is saved in the folder specified in Step 3. You can now transfer this file to your new phone. Hint: For this steps, you can use any method (such as email, via the cloud storage or the traditional copy and paste using a PC) you are familiar with.
ii. Restore SMS messages
- On your new phone, download SMS Backup & Restore from the Google Play store.
- Launch the SMS Backup & Restore app, and then tap Restore.
- Browse to the folder that contain the .xml backup file you’ve transferred in Section i, and then tap the file you want to restore.
- Follow the on screen instructions to restore the SMS messages.