You can transfer files such as music, photos, videos, documents and etc. between your Mac (running Mac OS X 10.5 or later) and your Xiaomi device using the Android File Transfer application.
i. Installing Android File Transfer
- Visit https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ in any browser (for example, Apple Safari) on your Mac.
- Click Download Now.
- When the download completes, double-click androidfiletransfer.dmg.
- In the Installer window, drag Android File Transfer to Applications.
- After dragging Android File Transfer to the Applications folder, hold down the control key while clicking in the window and select Eject “Android File Transfer” from the menu. You can also delete the DMG file by moving it to the Trash.
- You can add Android File Transfer to your dock for quick and easy access. Just open your Applications folder and drag Android File Transfer to the dock.
ii. Connecting a Xiaomi phone to a Mac
- Connect your Xiaomi phone to your Mac using the provided USB cable.
- If your Xiaomi phone is secured by PIN/Password/Pattern or any other screen locks, unlock it.
- On your Mac, launch Android File Transfer.
- Now, you should see the files and folders of your Xiaomi device in the Android File Transfer window.
- If your Xiaomi device has an external SD card storage, you’ll see the SD card and Phone storage tabs which let you switch between these 2 storage.
iii. Transferring files from a Xiaomi phone to a Mac
- Drag one or more files from the Android File Transfer window to your Mac.
iv. Transferring files from a Mac to a Xiaomi phone
- Drag one or more files from your Mac to the Android File Transfer window.
v. Creating a new folder on a Xiaomi phone
- From the Android File Transfer window, click the New Folder icon in the upper right corner.
vi. Delete files or folders from the Xiaomi device
- Select one or more files or folders in the Android File Transfer window.
- Right click and then select Delete.
- Select Delete to confirm.
Note: The steps here were written for a Xiaomi device running MIUI V5. If you’re having a different version of MIUI, there’s a possibility that the steps and screenshots will be different.