While you can use the My Files app to zip/unzip files and folders, but it only supports ZIP format.
If you try to open a RAR, TAR, GZIP and 7z files, you’ll see the “No apps can perform this action” error. In that case, you’ll need a 3rd party app such as Zarchiver to help you.
Here’s how to use Zarchiver on your Galaxy S5 :
i. To extract RAR, TAR, GZIP and 7z files with Zarchiver:
- On your phone, download the Zarchiver app from Google Play.
- Using Zarchiver, find and tap the compressed file.
- Now, you can select either Extract here, Extract to ./<Archive name>/ or Extract... to decompress the file.
ii. To create a TAR, GZIP or 7z file with Zarchiver
- On your phone, launch the Zarchiver app.
- Using Zarchiver, navigate to the folder containing the files you want to compress.
- Tap to change to multi-select mode. Note: You need to be in mult-select mode, in order to select more than one file for compression in one archive file.
- Now, you can tap to select the files you want to compress, and then tap
- Tap one of the selected file, then select Compress… on the Selected files menu.
- On the Create archive screen, select the archive format, enter the name, and other details, then tap OK.
Note: The steps here were written for Android 4.4.2 on a Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F). If you’re having a different model of Galaxy S5 or other version of Android, there’s a possibility that the steps and screenshots will be different.